|First Appearance||The Nightmare Begins|
|Voice Actor|| Melissa Fahn (English)|
Ana Lobo (Spanish)
Haruhi Nanao (Japanese)
Yvonne Greitzke (German)
AppearanceGaz is 10-12 Earth years old (during seasons 1-2, including the unfinished episodes). In the show, Gaz wears a short black dress with striped gray sleeves, striped reddish leggings, black shoes, and a necklace in the shape of a skull. This led many to assume she's a Goth, but as the executive producer, Jhonen Vasquez, doesn't view her as such, he redesigned her appearance for the comic series, so she now instead wears a teal t-shirt with a rabbit-like skull on it, a black skirt, and thick gray boots, a look that is carried over into Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus!.
When she was younger, she dressed similarly, but with the addition of a pink hair bow. Though her dress style is vaguely gothic in appearance, as we mentioned beforehand, the executive producer does not see her as such.
The most unique characteristics of Gaz are her hair and eyes. Her purple hair, resembling a stylized bob cut, is cubic and fashioned into five spikes, resembling a set of fangs. While normally squinted, her eyes widen when she is surprised, enraptured, or deeply irritated, revealing them to be amber in color (though they were blue in the original pilot).
PersonalityGaz is best known for her short-tempered, creepy, dark, cynical, and antisocial nature, along with her obsessions over pizza and video games. If a person interferes with her, or with what she enjoys doing, she will often vow revenge, this means Gaz has a tendency to seek revenge on those who cross her... and she usually gets it. although whether or not she follows up on her vow depends on the situation.
Two prime examples of her vengeful nature can be seen in "Battle-Dib" where she made sure Dib had a terrible time and couldn't accomplish his mission to see their father so he could show the Swollen Eyeball Network his findings on Zim just because he took the last pizza slice and in "Game Slave 2", where she stalks and terrorizes Iggins in order to get back a handheld console that was stolen from her, this also makes her incredibly petty as she was even planning on making "Dib pay" for drinking the last soda during "The Nightmare Begins."
In line with her dour nature, Gaz has rarely been seen smiling. The only instances where Gaz has smiled were in "Parent Teacher Night" (while laughing at Zim and Dib’s misfortunes), "The Wettening" (before dropping a water balloon on Dib), and "Gaz, Taster of Pork" (when sending her robotic toys after Dib). She also smiled a few times in the "Pilot", but given the many inconsistencies seen in it, its canonicity is dubious.Gaz cares little for most people, and generally regards human interaction as nothing more than a means to an end. Several issues of the comics have shown her playing online with other gamers, although whether these are friends or simply another means to an end is unknown.
Her attitude towards her brother, Dib, is a bit more complex. Although she frequently complains about his behavior, his voice and his desire to save the Earth from Zim, she still walks to school with him, sits next to him at lunchtime, and even partakes in chatter when he’s nearby, hinting that while she will still inflict vengeance upon him if he crosses a line, their behavior with each other simply reflects typical sibling dynamics: squabbling, but affable enough.
Her opinion on Zim is probably slightly higher, while she thinks he's so bad at his job of invading, she at least acknowledges that he has powerful technology to destroy the planet but sees that he can't use it properly.
Although she is often angry and bitter, her few interests have been known to coax a more positive side out of her.
|21. "Backseat Drivers from Beyond the Stars":||Appears|
|22a. "Mortos der Soulstealer":||Absent||22b. "Zim Eats Waffles":||Absent|
|23a. "The Girl Who Cried Gnome":||Absent||23b. "Dibship Rising":||Appears|
|24a. "Vindicated!":||Absent||24b. "The Voting of the Doomed":||Non-speaking|
|26. "Gaz, Taster of Pork":||Appears|
|27. "The Frycook What Came from All That Space":||Absent|
|28. "The Most Horrible X-mas Ever":||Appears|
|1. "Roboparents Gone Wild":||Does Not Appear||2. "Simon Sez Doom":||Does Not Appear|
|3. "Invader Poonchy":||Does Not Appear||4. "Nubs of Doom":||Does Not Appear|
|5. "Ten Minutes to Doom":||Confirmed||6. "GIR's Big Day":||Unconfirmed|
|7. "Return of Keef":||Confirmed||8. "Day of da Spookies":||Confirmed|
|9. "Mopiness of Doom":||Confirmed||10. "Those!":||Unconfirmed|
|11. "Top of the Line":||Unconfirmed||12. "The Trial":||Does Not Appear|
|13. "It Feeds on Noodles":||Unconfirmed||14. "When Pants Ruled!":||Unconfirmed|
|15. "Squishy: Hugger of Worlds":||Unconfirmed||16. "Invader Dib":||Confirmed|
|1. "Issue 1":||Appears||2. "Issue 2":||Absent|
|3. "Issue 3":||Appears||4. "Issue 4":||Cameo|
|5. "Issue 5":||Appears||6. "Issue 6":||Absent|
|7. "Issue 7":||Absent||8. "Issue 8":||Absent|
|9. "Issue 9":||Appears||10. "Issue 10":||Appears|
|11. "Issue 11":||Cameo||12. "Issue 12":||Subplot|
|13. "Issue 13":||Absent||14. "Issue 14":||Appears|
|15. "Issue 15":||Absent||16. "Issue 16":||Appears|
|17. "Issue 17":||Imagined||18. "Issue 18":||Absent|
|19. "Issue 19":||Absent||20. "Issue 20":||Absent|
|21. "Issue 21":||Appears||22. "Issue 22":||Absent|
|23. "Issue 23":||Absent||24. "Issue 24":||Absent|
|25. "Issue 25":||Absent||26. "Issue 26":||Absent|
|27. "Issue 27":||Appears||28. "Issue 28":||Absent|
|29. "Issue 29":||Appears||30. "Issue 30":||Appears|
|31. "Issue 31":||Absent||32. "Issue 32":||Appears|
|33. "Issue 33":||Appears||34. "Issue 34":||Absent|
|35. "Issue 35":||Absent||36. "Issue 36":||Absent|
|37. "Issue 37":||Imagined||38. "Issue 38":||Appears|
|39. "Issue 39":||Appears||40. "Issue 40":||Appears|
|41. "Issue 41":||Appears||42. "Issue 42":||Absent|
|43. "Issue 43":||Absent||44. "Issue 44":||Appears|
|45. "Issue 45":||Absent||46. "Issue 46":||Absent|
Role in Invader ZIMGaz is the only person, with the exception of Dib, to recognize that Zim is an alien but doesn't care. In "Bloaty's Pizza Hog", she replied to Dib's comment on Zim with an indifferent "but he's so bad at it", and in "Gaz, Taster of Pork", she remarked that he's "too dumb to take over the Earth."
Although she usually only plays a supporting role, often as the unwilling sidekick to Dib, she has been the main subject in some episodes of the show and issues of the comic.
AbilitiesThroughout the show, Gaz has been shown to have several strange powers. These include, but are not limited to: offscreen teleportation, levitation, and some sort of pyrokinesis. On more mundane levels, she has also demonstrated the ability to pilot Irken ships and perform some type of martial arts (described in the "Ten Minutes to Doom" transcript as "ninja moves"). Although Steve Russel has stated that Gaz possesses some level of supernatural power, Vasquez has gone on record stating that Gaz has no genuine powers of any sort, and that she is simply "someone you don't want to anger".
If Gaz is a creation of Membrane’s, as Dib possibly is, then her more supernatural abilities as well as her intelligence could possibly be a result of her artificial nature.
Facts of Doom
- Gaz was voiced by Melissa Fahn in the original English version, and by Haruhi Nanao in the Japanese dub. In the German dub she is voiced by Yvonne Greitzke, and in the Spanish dub she is voiced by Ana Lobo.
- Her voice actress, Melissa Fahn, has stated in the commentary for "The Most Horrible X-Mas Ever" that Gaz actually can show positive emotions and love others; she just does not like people interfering with her life and thinks she is better than others, hence her rotten and ill-mannered demeanor around most of the people she makes contact with.
- Melissa also stated in the same commentary that Gaz is the smartest character, even more so than her own father, agreeing with Jhonen Vasquez. This seems to explain why, unlike Dib, she doesn't view Zim as an ultimate threat to Earth.
- Ironically, in contrast to Gaz’s usual attitude, her voice actress, Melissa Fahn, is actually very pleasant and friendly.
- Gaz was the third main character of the series to be introduced, the second human to be seen in the series, and the only female protagonist overall.
- During the intro, Gaz breaks the fourth wall by putting her hand on the screen and brusquely shoving it aside.
- Gaz's full first name is Gazlene, a play on the word gasoline. This play on words fits her personality rather well: like gasoline when ignited, Gaz has a very fiery temper when provoked.
- She is one of the only main characters to have a full name with more than one syllable, or a name that is a wordplay.
- The word "gaz" is also the name of a type of candy found in the Middle East.
- The word, translated from Farsi, means "sap".
- The word is also the French word for gas (as in the fuel).
- Like Zim, Gaz is ambidextrous. She can be seen drawing with her right hand in "The Wettening" and with her left hand in "Bloaty's Pizza Hog".
- Although her eyes are amber in color, they were supposed to be light blue, as they were in the Pilot. A coloring error led to her current eye color.
- In an image on Nicktoons's official site [Citation Needed], Gaz is seen sitting playing her Game Slave 2 in Zim and Dib's classroom in front of Ms. Bitters, who is growling at her. However, "Parent Teacher Night" and "Gaz, Taster of Pork" notably explain that she is in Mr. Elliot's class, so this was most likely an error or simply a way to show three of the four main characters in a picture.
- Gaz and Dib are the only humans that know of the Irken Empire.
- Her amethyst hair and amber eyes made her somewhat resemble Devi D from Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, which has led some fans to believe that Devi could be the mother of Gaz but unconfirmed for Dib as he supposedly was created by Professor Membrane.
- Her hair prior to Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus! resembled the open jaw of an animal, adding to her intimidating and scary nature.
- In some episodes, her height and size occasionally change, possibly due to some animation errors on the part of the artists. She is sometimes seen taller in her surroundings and other times shorter. The shape of her head can also be seen as angular or round in different episodes.
- Gaz is a playable character in Nicktoons MLB, alongside Zim. Best used as a pitcher, her throw (which leaves behind a trail of cartoony skulls) is one of the fastest in the entire game. Her clothes are the same as in the show, only her dress has pinstripes, and she wears a red baseball cap, which transforms into a first baseman's helmet when she is at first base.
- In these concept sketches by Aaron Alexovich, she is shown with a similar helmet.
- Gaz appears in Nicktoons: Globs of Doom, with Melissa Fahn reprising her role. She can be rescued alongside her father in the Skool stage. When you rescue her, she actually congratulates you; however, she is not playable.
- Unlike Dib who rants about Zim being an alien, Gaz told the Shadowhog in "Gaz, Taster of Pork" that he indeed was an Irken Invader and he seemed to believe her, this shows that Gaz has more credibility than her brother, most likely because she's more mentally stable than Dib.
- Interestingly and maybe fittingly since Gaz hates people but had a fondness for piggies, she actually made her first friend when she met the Shadowhog which ironically it was thanks to Dib cursing her with his spelldrive.
- In "The Most Horrible X-Mas Ever", Gaz's anger and hatred is said by Jhonen Vasquez to be the cause of how she was able to fix the Tak Runner. If not taken as a joke, this could suggest that Irken ships can be fixed faster by intense emotion alone, which makes sense as at the time Gaz had a strong desire to inflict revenge on her brother. Alternatively, it could've simply been another of her unique abilities.
- Gaz is one of three characters shown to scare or intimidate Zim, the other two being Sizz-Lorr and Hobo 678.
- Gaz's original clothing style in the show bears a strong resemblance to that of Pepito the Antichrist, another creation of Jhonen Vasquez.
- Her new outfit makes Gaz look more like a gamer.
- Of the four main characters, she has the least screen time in the series. Paradoxically, she's also the lead female character on the show.
- In some aspects, Gaz could be considered a secondary antagonist of show since she has made it harder for Dib to save the Earth in some occasions while at the same time she also could be considered an anti-hero for helping save the planet, albeit against her will or with some reluctance.
- Gaz is the character Jhonen Vasquez was the most excited to get back to writing for the comics. He said that she got the "least love in the series" and that she just "had a role to play, there really wasn't much room for her to be more of a person."
- Jhonen also claimed that he likes her more in the comics since she's "more fleshed out" while in the show she was "a bit simple."
- Vasquez has stated that the four main characters aren't evil, although with Gaz it can be hard to tell since she can be merciless towards anyone who interferes with her life which she seems to believe is "justified."
- It can be said that Gaz hates humanity more than Zim does, but unlike him she has no desire or motivation to cause its destruction. This is probably because, as mentioned above, she views human interaction as a means to an end and while she likes being alone, she acknowledges that without people around, there wouldn't be any pizza or video games, her main interests.
- However in "Dibship Rising" she tried to destroy the Earth and by extension, the human race, this is the only episode where attempted it.
- Gaz is one of the three characters to have conquered the Earth, as she took over the planet while pretending to be Zim in Issue 21. The others were GIR in "The Trial" and Emperor Zim in Issue 12.
- Issue 40 shows that even in a universe where everyone is nice, Gaz can still be scary, as she's so overtly friendly that she forces people to partake in tea party sleepovers with her against their will.
- Issue 44 reveals that Gaz is an excellent skier.
- Main article: Gaz Membrane/Images
- ↑ 107 Invader Zim Facts Everyone Should Know- (ToonedUp #170) | ChannelFrederator at YouTube
- ↑ http://es.doblaje.wikia.com/wiki/Invasor_Zim Invasor Zim on doblaje wikia
- Dib and Gaz's Relationship
- Gaz and GIR'S Relationship
- Gaz and Professor Membrane's Relationship
- Gaz and Zim's Relationship
|Characters of Invader Zim|
|Zim • GIR • Dib Membrane • Gaz Membrane|
|Almighty Tallest Purple • Almighty Tallest Red • Ms. Bitters • Professor Membrane|
|Invader Skoodge • Keef • Minimoose • Tak • President Man • Roboparents • Lard Nar • Skool Principal|
|Adult Dib • Old Kid • Hobo • Alan • Meef • Skoolchildren|
|Mortos der Soulstealer • Sergeant Slab Rankle • Sergeant Hobo 678 • Shadow Hog • Chickenfoot • Sizz-Lorr • Gashloog • Willy • Iggins • Walton Chunky • Pigboy|
|Louie • Digestor • Almighty Tallest Spork • Almighty Tallest Miyuki • Bloody GIR • Cthulu • Cybernetic Kitten • Dinky • Little Timmy|