|Gaz: Normally, you crying on the floor is hilarious, but come on.
Dib: It’s all my fault, Gaz! Why aren’t you saying ‘I told you so’?
Gaz: 'Cause making fun of you is no fun when you’re this sad. You’re my brother, man. I only torment you because I know you can handle it. I’ve done way worse than throwing you in a space prison. This is nothing, get up!
— Gaz telling Dib that she actually does care about him.
|First Appearance||The Nightmare Begins|
|Voice Actor||Melissa Fahn (English)|
Ana Lobo (Spanish)
Haruhi Nanao (Japanese)
Yvonne Greitzke (German)
Gazlene "Gaz" Membrane is the menacing younger sister of Dib Membrane and the overall tritagonist of the Invader Zim franchise, serving as the tritagonist of the TV series Invader Zim and the deuteragonist of the movie Invader Zim: Enter thee Florpus.
She is also the daughter of Professor Membrane. Known for her dark, violent and antisocial personality, Gaz has frequently expressed her disdain for the rest of the human race, seeming to care about only two things in the world: pizza and video games. Few have been known to get between her and those two things and walk away unscathed.
In the show, Gaz has short straight purple hair and wears a short black dress with striped gray sleeves, striped reddish leggings, black shoes, and a necklace in the shape of a skull. This led many fans to assume she was a Goth, but the executive producer, Jhonen Vasquez, did not view her as such. So in order to make her seem less like a Goth, he redesigned her appearance for the comic series in an attempt to change her impression with the fans. In the comic series, she now wears a teal t-shirt with a white pixelated video game design of what appears to be a rabbit skull on it, a black skirt, and thick gray boots, a look that is carried over into Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus.
When she was younger, she dressed similarly, but with the addition of a pink hair bow. Though her dress style is vaguely gothic in appearance, as mentioned beforehand, the executive producer does not see her as such.
The most unique characteristics of Gaz are her hair and eyes. Her purple hair, resembling a stylized bob cut, is cubic and fashioned into five spikes, resembling a set of fangs or a mouth; however, for the comics and Enter the Florpus this was changed to look less angular. While normally squinted or closed, her eyes widen when she is surprised, enraptured, or deeply irritated, revealing them to be brown in color (though they were blue in the original pilot).
Gaz is best known for her short-tempered, creepy, dark, cynical, and antisocial nature, along with her obsessions over pizza and video games. If a person interferes with her, or with what she enjoys doing, she will often vow revenge, meaning Gaz has a tendency to seek revenge on those who cross her... and she usually gets away with it. Although whether or not she follows up on her vow depends on the situation.
Two prime examples of her vengeful nature can be seen in "Battle-Dib" where she made sure Dib had a terrible time and couldn't accomplish his mission to see their father so he could show the Swollen Eyeball Network his findings on Zim just because he took the last slice of pizza and in "Game Slave 2", where she stalks and terrorizes Iggins in order to get back a handheld console that was stolen from her. This also makes her incredibly petty as she was even planning on "making Dib pay" for drinking the last soda during "The Nightmare Begins."
In line with her dark nature, Gaz has rarely been seen smiling, with the exception of Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus. She also smiled a few times in the Pilot, but given the many inconsistencies seen in it, its canonicity is dubious.
Gaz cares little for most people and generally regards human interaction as nothing more than a means to an end. Several issues of the comics have shown her playing online with other gamers, although whether these are friends or simply another means to an end is unknown.
Her attitude towards her brother, Dib, is a bit more complex. Although she frequently complains about his behavior, his voice and his desire to save the Earth from Zim, she still walks to school with him, sits next to him at lunchtime, and even partakes in chatter when he’s nearby, hinting that while she will still inflict vengeance upon him if he crosses a line, their behavior with each other simply reflects typical sibling dynamics: squabbling, but affable enough. Her opinion on Zim is probably slightly higher. While she thinks he's so bad at his job of invading, she at least acknowledges that he has powerful technology to destroy the planet but sees that he can't use it properly.
Although she is often angry and bitter, her few interests have been known to coax a more positive side out of her. She has shown more of a more fleshed-out personality in the comics and Enter the Florpus, showing more concern for her brother Dib's well-being.
In Enter the Florpus, Gaz reveals that she's only tough on Dib because she knows he can take it and shows that she actually does care about her brother.
|21. "Backseat Drivers from Beyond the Stars":||Appears|
|22a. "Mortos der Soulstealer":||Absent||22b. "Zim Eats Waffles":||Absent|
|23a. "The Girl Who Cried Gnome":||Absent||23b. "Dibship Rising":||Appears|
|24a. "Vindicated!":||Absent||24b. "The Voting of the Doomed":||Appears|
|25. "Gaz, Taster of Pork":||Appears|
|26. "The Frycook What Came from All That Space":||Absent|
|27. "The Most Horrible X-Mas Ever":||Appears|
|1. "Roboparents Gone Wild":||Does Not Appear||2. "Simon Sez Doom":||Does Not Appear|
|3. "Invader Poonchy":||Does Not Appear||4. "Nubs of Doom":||Does Not Appear|
|5. "Ten Minutes to Doom":||Confirmed||6. "GIR's Big Day":||Unconfirmed|
|7. "Return of Keef":||Confirmed||8. "Day of da Spookies":||Confirmed|
|9. "Mopiness of Doom":||Confirmed||10. "Those!":||Unconfirmed|
|11. "Top of the Line":||Unconfirmed||12. "The Trial":||Does Not Appear|
|13. "It Feeds on Noodles":||Unconfirmed||14. "When Pants Ruled!":||Unconfirmed|
|15. "Squishy: Hugger of Worlds":||Unconfirmed|
|1. Issue 1:||Appears||2. Issue 2:||Absent|
|3. Issue 3:||Appears||4. Issue 4:||Cameo|
|5. Issue 5:||Appears||6. Issue 6:||Absent|
|7. Issue 7:||Absent||8. Issue 8:||Absent|
|9. Issue 9:||Appears||10. Issue 10:||Appears|
|11. Issue 11:||Cameo||12. Issue 12:||Subplot|
|13. Issue 13:||Absent||14. Issue 14:||Appears|
|15. Issue 15:||Absent||16. Issue 16:||Appears|
|17. Issue 17:||Imagined||18. Issue 18:||Absent|
|19. Issue 19:||Absent||20. Issue 20:||Absent|
|21. Issue 21:||Appears||22. Issue 22:||Absent|
|23. Issue 23:||Absent||24. Issue 24:||Absent|
|25. Issue 25:||Absent||26. Issue 26:||Absent|
|27. Issue 27:||Appears||28. Issue 28:||Absent|
|29. Issue 29:||Appears||30. Issue 30:||Appears|
|31. Issue 31:||Absent||32. Issue 32:||Appears|
|33. Issue 33:||Appears||34. Issue 34:||Absent|
|35. Issue 35:||Absent||36. Issue 36:||Absent|
|37. Issue 37:||Imagined||38. Issue 38:||Appears|
|39. Issue 39:||Appears||40. Issue 40:||Appears|
|41. Issue 41:||Appears||42. Issue 42:||Absent|
|43. Issue 43:||Absent||44. Issue 44:||Appears|
|45. Issue 45:||Absent||46. Issue 46:||Absent|
|47. Issue 47:||Absent||48. Issue 48:||Absent|
|49. Issue 49:||Absent||50. Issue 50:||Appears|
|Q1. Quarterly 1:||Absent||Q2. Quarterly 2:||Appears|
|Q3. Quarterly 3:||Absent||Q4. Quarterly 4:||Absent|
|SP. Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus:||Appears|
Role in Invader Zim
Gaz is the only person, with the exception of Dib, to recognize that Zim is an alien but doesn't care. In "Bloaty's Pizza Hog", she replied to Dib's comment on Zim with an indifferent "but he's so bad at it", and in "Gaz, Taster of Pork", she remarked that he's "too dumb to take over the Earth."
Gaz often stays out of Zim and Dib’s conflicts, but on occasion, she has bailed out her brother - but only when it benefits her, like in "Bloaty's Pizza Hog" and "The Most Horrible X-Mas Ever". Although she usually only plays a supporting role, often as the unwilling sidekick to Dib, she has been the main subject in some episodes of the show and issues of the comic.
Throughout the show, Gaz has been shown to have several strange powers. These include, but are not limited to: offscreen teleportation, levitation, and some sort of pyrokinesis. On more mundane levels, she has also demonstrated the ability to pilot Irken ships and perform some type of martial arts (described in the "Ten Minutes to Doom" transcript as "ninja moves").
Although Steve Russel has stated that Gaz possesses some level of supernatural power, Vasquez has gone on record stating that Gaz has no genuine powers of any sort and that she is simply "someone you don't want to anger".
If Gaz is a creation of Membrane’s, as Dib possibly is, then her more supernatural abilities, as well as her intelligence, could possibly be a result of her artificial nature.
Facts of Doom
- Gaz was voiced by Melissa Fahn in the original English version, and by Haruhi Nanao in the Japanese dub. In the German dub, she is voiced by Yvonne Greitzke, and in the Spanish dub, she is voiced by Ana Lobo.
- Her voice actress, Melissa Fahn, has stated in the commentary for "The Most Horrible X-Mas Ever" that Gaz actually can show positive emotions and love others; she just does not like people interfering with her life and thinks she is better than others, hence her rotten and ill-mannered demeanor around most of the people she makes contact with.
- Melissa also stated in the same commentary that Gaz is the smartest character, even more so than her own father, agreeing with Jhonen Vasquez. This seems to explain why, unlike Dib, she doesn't view Zim as an ultimate threat to Earth.
- While never actually said in the show, it is hinted in several episodes that Gaz has a girly side to her but doesn't want anyone (except her family) knowing. In fact, in the commentary for "Gaz, Taster of Pork", it is stated by both Melissa and Jhonen that at heart, Gaz is girly.
- Ironically, in contrast to Gaz’s usual attitude, her voice actress, Melissa Fahn, is actually very pleasant and friendly.
- Gaz was the fourth main character of the series to be introduced (starting from "The Nightmare Begins"), the second human to be seen in the series, and the only female protagonist overall.
- During the intro, Gaz breaks the fourth wall by putting her hand on the screen and brusquely shoving it aside.
- Gaz has a few similarities to Mandy from the Cartoon Network series The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. Unlike Mandy, however, Gaz is more neutral to the world around her than outright aggressive all the time.
- Gaz's full first name is Gazlene, a play on the word gasoline. This play on words fits her personality rather well: like gasoline when ignited, Gaz has a very fiery temper when provoked.
- She is one of the only main characters to have a full name with more than one syllable, or a name that is a wordplay.
- The word "gaz" is also the name of a type of candy found in the Middle East.
- The word, translated from Farsi, means "sap".
- The word is also the French word for gas (as in the fuel).
- Like Zim, Gaz is ambidextrous. She can be seen drawing with her right hand in "The Wettening" and with her left hand in "Bloaty's Pizza Hog".
- Although her eyes are brown in color, they were supposed to be light blue, as they were in the Pilot. A coloring error led to her current eye color.
- In an image on Nicktoons's official site [Citation Needed], Gaz is seen sitting on the floor playing her Game Slave 2 in Zim and Dib's classroom in front of Ms. Bitters, who is growling at her. However, "Parent Teacher Night" and "Gaz, Taster of Pork" notably explains that she is in Mr. Elliot's class, so this was most likely an error or simply a way to show three of the four main characters in a picture.
- Gaz and Dib are the only humans that know about the Irken Empire.
- Her amethyst hair and brown eyes make her somewhat similar to Devi D from Jhonen Vasquez's comic series, "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac".
- Her hair prior to Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus resembled open jaws, possibly of a carnivorous creature, adding to her intimidating and scary nature.
- In some episodes, her height and size occasionally change, possibly due to some animation errors on the part of the artists. She is sometimes seen taller in her surroundings and other times shorter. The shape of her head can also be seen as angular or round in different episodes.
- Gaz is a playable character in Nicktoons MLB, alongside Zim. Best used as a pitcher, her throw (which leaves behind a trail of cartoony skulls) is one of the fastest in the entire game. Her clothes are the same as in the show, only her dress has pinstripes, and she wears a red baseball cap, which transforms into a first baseman's helmet when she is at first base.
- In these concept sketches by Aaron Alexovich, she is shown with a similar helmet.
- Gaz appears in Nicktoons: Globs of Doom, with Melissa Fahn reprising her role. She can be rescued alongside her father in the Skool stage. When you rescue her, she actually congratulates you; however, she is not playable.
- Unlike Dib who rants about Zim being an alien, Gaz told the Shadowhog in "Gaz, Taster of Pork" that he indeed was an Irken Invader and he seemed to believe her. This shows that Gaz has more credibility than her brother.
- Interestingly and fittingly, since Gaz hates people but had a fondness for piggies, she made her first friend when she met the Shadowhog, which was ironically due to Dib cursing her with his spelldrive.
- Gaz is the only character in the series that has ever gotten an onscreen kiss on the lips, albeit an unwanted one from GIR as seen in "Tak: The Hideous New Girl."
- In "The Most Horrible X-Mas Ever", Gaz's anger and hatred are said by Jhonen Vasquez to be the cause of how she was able to fix the Tak Runner. If not taken as a joke, this could suggest that Irken ships can be fixed faster by intense emotion alone, which makes sense as at the time Gaz had a strong desire to inflict revenge on her brother. Alternatively, it could've simply been another of her unique abilities.
- Gaz is one of three characters shown to scare or at the very least, intimidate Zim, the other two being Sizz-Lorr and Hobo 678.
- Gaz's original clothing style in the show bears a strong resemblance to that of Pepito the Antichrist, another creation of Jhonen Vasquez.
- Gaz’s new outfit in the comics makes her look more like a gamer.
- Of the four main characters, she has the least screen time in the series. Paradoxically, she's also the lead female character on the show.
- Gaz has been absent in 19 episodes, has made 2 small cameo appearance, her voice has been heard offscreen twice, and has appeared without speaking twice.
- In some aspects, Gaz could be considered a secondary antagonist of the show since she has made it harder for Dib to save the Earth in some occasions; while at the same time she also could be considered an anti-hero for helping save the planet, albeit against her will or with some reluctance.
- Gaz is the character Jhonen Vasquez was the most excited to get back to writing for the comics. He said that she got the "least love in the series" and that she just "had a role to play, there really wasn't much room for her to be more of a person."
- Jhonen also claimed that he likes her more in the comics since she's "more fleshed out" while in the show she was "a bit simple."
- Vasquez has stated that the four main characters aren't evil, although with Gaz it can be hard to tell since she can be merciless towards anyone who interferes with her life which she seems to believe is "justified."
- Arguably, Gaz is the least liked character in the series, especially due to episodes like "Gaz, Taster of Pork". When the show still aired, many parents made complaints about Gaz's cold treatment of Dib.
- It can be said that Gaz hates humanity more than Zim does, but unlike him, she has no desire or motivation to cause its destruction. This is probably because, as mentioned above, she views human interaction as a means to an end and while she likes being alone, she acknowledges that without people around, there wouldn't be any pizza or video games, her main interests.
- Gaz is one of the four characters to have conquered the Earth, as she took over the planet while pretending to be Zim in Issue 21. The others were GIR in "The Trial", Emperor Zim in Issue 12 and Zim himself in Enter the Florpus.
- Issue 40 shows that even in a universe where everyone is nice, Gaz can still be scary, as she's so overtly friendly that she forces people to partake in tea party sleepovers with her against their will.
- Issue 44 reveals that Gaz is an excellent skier.
- Gaz's eyes are open throughout Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus much more frequently than in either the show or the comics.
- TruthShrieker (Issue 0) features the only time in the comics where Gaz is wearing her classic black dress from the show, during the "interview with Dib" where she's impersonating her brother.
- In The Art of Invader Zim, Aaron Alexovich stated that Gaz's hair style on the show never made sense to the him and the crew until the toys came and he saw a toy version of her. He then says that he prefers her new hair style in Enter the Florpus, as it makes more sense to him.
- It was once speculated she was a goth girl because of her dark nature, clothing, and appearance; yet Jhonen said something about her not being a goth but only her style, her outfit being heavily based off of Pepito from Squee!. Jhonen possibly changed Gaz’s design in the comics and movie to portray her more as a gamer.
- Main article: Gaz Membrane/Images
- http://es.doblaje.wikia.com/wiki/Invasor_Zim Invasor Zim on doblaje wikia
- Dib and Gaz's Relationship
- Gaz and GIR’s Relationship
- Gaz and Professor Membrane's Relationship
- Gaz and Zim's Relationship
|Characters of Invader Zim|
|Zim • GIR • Dib Membrane • Gaz Membrane|
|Almighty Tallest Purple • Almighty Tallest Red • Ms. Bitters • Professor Membrane|
|Invader Skoodge • Keef • Minimoose • Tak • President Man • Roboparents • Lard Nar • Skool Principal|
|Adult Dib • Old Kid • Hobo • Alan • Meef • Skoolchildren|
|Mortos der Soulstealer • Sergeant Slab Rankle • Sergeant Hobo 678 • Shadow Hog • Chickenfoot • Sizz-Lorr • Gashloog • Willy • Iggins • Walton Chunky • Pigboy|
|Louie • Digestor • Almighty Tallest Spork • Almighty Tallest Miyuki • Bloody GIR • Cthulu • Cybernetic Kitten • Dinky • Little Timmy|