| I'm Chammy Wamboo, and I need everyone to be best friends!|
— Chammy Wamboo
|Invader Zim Issue|
|Publication date:||March 18, 2020|
|Story by:|| Jhonen Vasquez|
|Art by:||Warren Wucinich|
Issue 50 was released on March 18, 2020.
Issue #50 has a total of 2 cover variations:
- J.R. Goldberg standard retail cover.
- Ian McGinty variant cover.
Characters in Issue #50 (In Order of Appearance)
SPOILER WARNING OF DOOM: This section or article may contain spoilers!
After announcing the arrival of a new student, Ms. Bitters makes room for and then introduces them, an excited girl named Chammy Wamboo who is very eager to be friends with everyone. Her introduction to the rest of the class is interrupted after she hears Zim and Dib fighting outside, where Dib is confronting Zim over how he's having GIR steal human brains. Chammy confronts them to try to stop the fight and make them be friends, but they both refuse.
Later, walking home from Skool with Zita, Chammy claims that Zim and Dib are perfect to be friends and is determined to make it happen. Zita is doubtful, but is incredibly impressed when Chammy somehow makes a dog and cat stop fighting and become friends.
At an abandoned peanut factory, Zim gathers GIR and Minimoose, who have been gathering brains for him. Dib arrives, preparing to stop Zim, only for Zim to reveal he intended for Dib to find him and become the first test subject of his plan - an Irken battle robot called Braindon powered by the collected brains. Dib counters by summoning a robot created by his father specifically designed to fight robots powered by brains, but before they can fight, Chammy shows up and stops them, somehow getting the robots to become friends and run off together. Zim and Dib are both annoyed by this and tell Chammy they'll never be friends, before Zim claims that he has more brains prepared and runs off.
The next day during lunch at Skool, Chammy complains to Zita that she's not having luck with Zim and Dib, and wonders if she's wrong about them. However, Gaz then appears and tells Chammy she's wrong, and that Zim and Dib really do want to be friends. Despite the fact that Gaz is clearly mocking her the whole time, Chammy believes her and is determined to continue.
That night at the Membrane Household, a tired Dib is trying to keep track of Zim when Chammy enters his room, having been let in by Gaz. She tries to convince Dib his obsession with Zim is because he wants to be friends with him, while Dib counters that he's trying to save the world. He then notices that Zim is building a Stargate portal atop a building, and runs off to confront him. Chammy starts to doubt again, only for Gaz to pop in and tell her to keep trying; as Chammy runs after Dib, it's revealed that Gaz is trying to make Dib suffer for eating some mini donuts she was saving for herself.
Atop a bread factory, Zim is preparing to activate the portal when Dib arrives; Zim reveals that the portal opens to Cyberborgulus Prime, where Zim has commissioned their cyborg factories to make him an army of Braindons. Dib counters by bringing out an EMP emitter to destroy the portal, with Zim ready to fight him over it, only for Chammy to arrive and interrupt them again. She insists on trying to convince them to be friends no matter what they say, promising to never stop; in response, Zim and Dib temporarily team up to send her through the portal and destroying it, trapping her on Cyberborgulus. Afterwards, Zim knocks Dib out with a brain in order to claim victory.
The issue ends with Chammy surrounded by Zim's brain robots, promising them that they'll all be best friends.
End of Spoilers: There are no further spoilers for this section or article. You can breathe now.
Facts of Doom
- The plot of this issue might be a reference to the cancelled episode "Return of Keef", as both feature an overly happy child trying to make Zim and Dib be friends.
- This is the last issue of the monthly format, as the comic was then switched to a quarterly format after its release.
- As noted in the ad for this issue at the end of Issue 49, this issue was extra long.
- Despite Brian being sent to the underground classroom in "Tak; The Hideous New Girl" he is once more sitting in Ms. Bitters' classroom while Poonchy is nowhere to be seen.
- Also, instead of sending students to the underground classrooms, Ms. Bitters now sends a pair of them to the "Chamber of Worthiness", from which only one returns, freeing up a desk.
- Gaz once more acts petty and seeks revenge on Dib because he ate food she wanted, in this case, mini donuts. The last time this happened was in "Battle-Dib", when Dib ate the last slice of pizza.
- GIR shouting "They're after me lucky brains" is a parody of cereal mascot Lucky the Leprechaun's catchphrase "They're after me Lucky Charms".
- At one point, Dib mentions investigating a vampire bee, possibly the same one that appeared in Enter the Florpus.
- This is the second time that Zim has said that he thinks Minimoose is cool. The first time was in Enter the Florpus.
- This is the first issue to feature Dib and Gaz with the darker skin tone they had in Enter the Florpus, as opposed to the lighter complexions from the show which was used in all previous issues.
- In one of Zim's speech bubbles, "Earth" is spelled as "Urth", as it was on Zim's universal map in Enter the Florpus.
- Minimoose is seen sitting for the first time rather than floating.
- When the robots break the wall and run off as friends, Dib and Zim are standing left to right, but in the next scene they've switched places.
- Dib and Zim both refer to Zim's portal machine as a Stargate, in clear reference to the film and television franchise of the same name.
|Issues of Invader Zim|
|1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11 • 12 • 13 • 14 • 15 • 16 • 17 • 18 • 19 • 20 • 21 • 22 • 23 • 24 • 25 • 26 • 27 • 28 • 29 • 30 • 31 • 32 • 33 • 34 • 35 • 36 • 37 • 38 • 39 • 40 • 41 • 42 • 43 • 44• 45 • 46 • 47 • 48 • 49 • 50 • Q1 • Q2|