Old Kid is a student at Skool and one of the children in Zim's class. He made his first appearance in "The Nightmare Begins", when he was pointed out by Brian. He was later seen in "Career Day", cheering in front of Count Cocofang. He was also seen in various other episodes as an extra. He, along with various other side characters, is voiced by series creator Jhonen Vasquez.
He has various wrinkles on his face, neck, and arms, and looks much older than he really is. However, his height and body proportions indicate that he is a Skoolchild and not an elder. Old Kid also wears a light blue golf shirt and green striped shorts, used to emphasize his elderly appearance.
Old Kid appears to be a very friendly individual and is usually seen smiling. Like many other humans, he spends most of his time being oblivious to the things going on around him, though he is noticeably happier.
Role in Invader Zim
- The Nightmare Begins: When one of the Skoolchildren explained that not everyone who looks different is an alien, another piped up with "I guess Old Kid's an alien too, huh?" The camera panned to the back, where Old Kid waved and said, "How's it goin'?". This was his only speaking role.
- Dib's Wonderful Life of Doom: He was shown staring at Zim along with the other kids at the cafeteria before Zim pulled off his goggles and extra gloves.
- Career Day: Old Kid could be seen in the crowd of children surrounding Count Cocofang.
Facts of Doom
- Old Kid is based on Don Newhouse (1924-2015), a parking lot security guard for Nickelodeon, who was described as always having something nice to say.
- The real person he is based on also acted in a live-action part of a SpongeBob SquarePants episode "Mermaidman and BarnacleBoy". He is seen giving a thumbs-up after SpongeBob explains how great old people are. This was all explained in an interview Nicktoons did with the man.
- It is possible that Old Kid has progeria, an extremely rare genetic disorder where a child displays aspects of aging.
- Old Kid's only line in the show is "How's it goin?".
- He makes cameos in Issue 5, Issue 15, Issue 26 and Issue 33 of the Invader Zim comic series. Issue 19 features a picture of him hanging on the wall of Ms. Bitters' classroom in the first panel.
- During the Nick Animation Podcast, Vasquez revealed his displeasure in the voice he gave Old Kid.
|Characters of Invader Zim|
|Zim • GIR • Dib Membrane • Gaz Membrane|
|Almighty Tallest Purple • Almighty Tallest Red • Ms. Bitters • Professor Membrane|
|Invader Skoodge • Keef • Minimoose • Tak • President Man • Roboparents • Lard Nar • Skool Principal|
|Adult Dib • Old Kid • Hobo • Alan • Meef • Skoolchildren|
|Mortos der Soulstealer • Sergeant Slab Rankle • Sergeant Hobo 678 • Shadow Hog • Chickenfoot • Sizz-Lorr • Gashloog • Willy • Iggins • Walton Chunky • Pigboy|
|Louie • Digestor • Almighty Tallest Spork • Almighty Tallest Miyuki • Bloody GIR • Cthulu • Cybernetic Kitten • Dinky • Little Timmy|