|Slaughtering Rat People|
Bipedal, rodents, hairy, no noses, large
This species makes their first appearance in "The Nightmare Begins" as a holographic image, depicting Rat People attacking Invader Larb (then Invader Skoodge), and later would make their only real appearance when the Irken Armada attacked their home world in "Battle of the Planets".
Appearance and Behavior
The rat people are a species of massive, mangy rat-like creatures, with two huge incisors, hairless tails, and beady red eyes.
They appear to be a very primitive, hostile species of creatures that can and will kill anything they don't recognize or understand, much like primitive humans in the dark ages. Thus, the evident horror expressed by the unfortunate Invader who was assigned to the planet on which they take up residence. It's also possible that they kill each other as well.
Invader Larb and later Invader Skoodge even teared up when they were given this assignment to the planet. The Tallest did nothing to ease this fear, showing the other Irkens a picture of a cowering Larb and then Skoodge surrounded by the murderous rodents done by a conceptual artist.
Fall and Possible Extinction
Despite the overwhelming likelihood of death, Skoodge managed to not only conquer the Slaughtering Rat People but was even the first Invader to complete his mission. This implies that despite the rat people fearsome appearance they had nothing in means of weapon beyond their own teeth and claws, which of course was no match for Irken technology.
The view from Blorch's surface during its Organic Sweep showed that the rat people lived in basic, multi-level stone buildings. It's unknown if the rat people became extinct or became slaves for the Irken Empire, though considering their apparent lack of civilization, the former seems more likely. Whichever the case, the Rat People's planet became the first to be conquered by the Irken Empire in Operation Impending Doom II, and was probably converted into a parking structure planet, as suggested by Tallest Red.
In Issue 18 of the comic series, Invader Larb is named Slaughterer of the Slaughtering Rat People. Though this is strange, because it was Invader Skoodge who had conquered the planet Blorch (and Invader Grapa was the one who got credit for it). Larb was assigned to the planet Vort, though it's possible the Tallest simply kept disregarding Skoodge's efforts and gave Larb all the credit, probably because he was originally assigned to conquer the planet.
- Despite the similar names and appearances, they should not be confused with the horrible Rat People, a group of mutated humans who live in the parking structure of the City Center Mall on Earth.
- The Slaughtering Rat People are the only alien race seen in the series that are not humanoid in appearance, and in fact completely resemble rats on planet Earth.
- It's possible that the Slaughtering Rat People do have a language similar to that of rats on Earth which would be quite primitive in comparison to the rest of the universe's developed languages.
- Before the Organic Sweep, it's possible that like humans, the Slaughtering Rat People were unaware that there is life on other planets.
- The Irkens' extermination of the rat people seems to be a reference to the real life fact that rats are usually exterminated on Earth for being seen as pests, while here they were seen as being too dangerous to be kept alive.
- When we see the Slaughtering Rat People for the first time in the holographic image, their eyes are red but when they're being killed by the organic sweep, their eyes are brown.
- It's unknown why the Irkens never refer to them as just Rats instead of the much longer name for the species.
|Species of Invader Zim|
|Brain-Eating Parasite • Hogulus • Humans • Irkens • Large-Nostril People • Martian • Meekrob • Nhar-Gh'ok • Plookesian • Rock Species • Screwheads • Slaughtering Rat People|