| I'm gonna eat that fish.|
|Invader Zim Episode|
|Next:||The Voting of the Doomed|
|Episode No:||Episode 24a|
|Airdate:|| Australia: December 21, 2003|
United States: July 22, 2006
"Vindicated!" is the 1st segment in the 4th episode of the second season of Invader Zim. It first premiered on December 21, 2003 in Australia. It aired in the United States on July 22, 2006.
SPOILER WARNING OF DOOM: This section or article may contain spoilers!
One day, during Gym class, Dib and Zim find themselves pitted against each other in a game of Bludgeonball, a sport similar to dodgeball. During the match, one of Zim's lenses falls out. All of the Skoolchildren immediately notice, but Zim merely passes it off as pink-eye, "a normal human illness". Dib gets upset as he always does, but this time, it's worse than usual, Dib basically throwing a temper tantrum in front of everyone. Because of this outburst, the gym teacher, Coach Walrus, sends him to Mr. Dwicky, the new guidance counsellor as something horrible happened to the Old Skool Counselor.
Mr. Dwicky asks Dib what the problem is, so he tells the guidance counselor everything about Zim and how nobody believes he is secretly an alien. Surprisingly, Mr. Dwicky believes Dib, and even wants to work with him. After Skool at Dib's house, Mr. Dwicky and Dib create a plan to expose Zim. Using schematics for an alien identification transmitter stolen from Zim's Computer, they call Zim's Base claiming to be Plookesians that had crash-landed on Earth. Dib, with his voice disguised, makes a deal with Zim. If the alien agrees to fix their ship, he and Mr. Dwicky (his voice also disguised) would give Zim some nondescript alien super-weapons.
All three of them settle on a meeting point somewhere in the woods, and Dib and his new partner set up cameras at the site they set for the trap. But after waiting for hours with no sign of Zim showing up, Mr. Dwicky tells Dib to stop pretending and tell him the real problem. Dib becomes upset when he realizes Mr. Dwicky was just playing along, but his disappointment quickly fades when Zim shows up. The guidance counselor is in shock for the next few minutes, but Dib and Zim start another of their frequent battle of words right away. The big-headed boy reveals to Zim that the whole thing was a trap he and Mr. Dwicky had set up, but Zim refuses to believe this.
Before anything else can happen, however, real Plookesians show up. They had been tracking the Plookesian signal Mr. Dwicky and Dib were sending, and came to check it out. Zim demands the two aliens give him super-weapons, still not realizing that Dib had tricked him. Much to Dib's consternation, the Plookesians readily comply with Zim's demand, and then leave with Mr. Dwicky (and, unfortunately, the video camera), whom they invited to go traveling with them. Dib is left without an ally or proof, and Zim goes home with a huge pile of super-weapons, but still no clue that Dib had arranged everything.
End of Spoilers: There are no further spoilers for this section or article. You can breathe now.
Facts of Doom
- Mr. Dwicky has some physical similarities with Nny from Jhonen Vasquez's Johnny the Homicidal Maniac.
- This is the first time that Danielle Koenig wrote an entire episode by herself; she previously co-wrote "Hobo 13" with Eric Trueheart, had the series not been cancelled, we would have seen her other solo episodes "Mopiness of Doom" and "Return of Keef."
- This episode never aired in the US until 2006, but it has aired in other countries years earlier, such as Australia having it first air in 2003.
- In this episode, it's revealed Dib is around three and a half feet from the waist up. However, his leg length is unknown, and therefore Dib's full height is also unknown.
- The scene featuring the Old Skool Counselor's fate was voted the absolute most disturbing scene from Invader Zim.
- The Plookesian weapons Zim received in this episode would have played a crucial part in "Invader Poonchy", had the series not been cancelled.
- Although uncredited, Jhonen Vasquez provided the voice and breathing of the Old Skool Counselor.
Things You Might Have Missed
- When Mr. Dwicky tells the adult that he doesn't believe in aliens it says "obey" at the bottom of his coffee mug.
- Dib says that he finds "worn down rubber piggies" in Zim's trash, a reference to the episode, "Bad, Bad Rubber Piggy".
- Mr. Dwicky mentions that he lost interest in aliens when they didn't save him from an escalator when he was younger. It shows that his leg was twisted up from the incident, but in the scenes before and after, Mr. Dwicky's leg is fine for unknown reasons. Likely so that he wouldn't have to be drawn and animated walking with crutches, or at least an extreme limp
- In the scene where Dib shows Dwicky his proof of aliens, he gets up from the chair and his nose is gone for about a single frame.