Muted greys, pinks, purples and blues.
Presumably any color, but light red, yellowish-green, white, and reddish-orange have been seen.
Flexible segmented almost horn-like antennae, small eyes, hairless, no visible nose or ears.
The Vortians, alternatively known as the Vort, are a highly intelligent race of scientists and engineers who inhabit Vort.
Atop their heads they have segmented, vaguely horn-like appendages growing out of fleshy nubs which are likely shelled tentacles or antennae, as they are ambulatory and quite flexible as opposed to stiff. This can be seen clearly by Captain Lard Nar’s movements in “Backseat Drivers from Beyond the Stars”, wherein his antennae visibly flex and spring about quite freely as he moves, jumps, and turns his head, and twitch with a springy appearance when he trembles in fear. It can also be seen with Prisoner 777, as his antennae curl slightly when he briefly panics about providing the Massive’s schematics to Zim. Vortian antennae display more diversity (color, length, and amount of segments) than Irken antennae, and appear to lengthen with age.
Vortians have small, rounded eyes of a single color, and are often seen wearing goggle-like eyewear. Their heads are large, and shaped vaguely like that of an Irken, although their foreheads are notably larger and more prominent. It is shown that Vortian skin can come in a variety of colours, appearing to be predominately greys, pinks, purples, and muted blues.Vortian teeth are visibly sharp and jagged. The only Vortian food shown are "Vort dogs" sold at Shloogorgh's Flavor Monster. Vortian tongues are segmented similar to Irken tongues, although a lighter color. Vortians are rather short, about the same height as Irkens, albeit with a stockier build. Like Irkens and most aliens seen in the show, Vortians have 3 fingers per hand.
It is unknown if their society is based on height, but it seems to be unlikely as there is no indication of this in the series, and height seems to be a trait prioritized by the Irken race alone. Due to the intelligence of the Vortian race, it may be that Vort's leaders were elected or maybe even passed down like royalty, similar to Earth.Like Irkens, it has been revealed (in the comic series) that Vortians also have the ability to reproduce, as the children of Prisoner 777 were briefly seen in the first issue of the Invader Zim comics. However, seeing as they made much of the Irkens' technology, it remains unclear as to whether or not Vortians reproduce naturally, or if they also use the test tube method.
They have created devices such as the MegaDoomer, as well as the doomsday technology inside of Minimoose and the Vortian liquid substance used for the Santa Suit. However, the Vortians have shown signs of rebellion by purposely flawing their creations. For example, the Vortian-designed Megadoomer rather humorously cloaked itself but not the user. It is also worth noting is that Vortian Prisoner 777 was also willing to hand over the Massive's schematics to Zim with very little convincing needed, despite the fact that he knew and openly stated that it would infuriate the Irken Armada.
It is characterized by sharp angles and muted colors, rather than the rounded surfaces and bright reds or purples that seem to be favored by the Irken race.
- Interestingly, some Vortians (Lard Nar and Vortian Prisoner 777’s kids) have been shown with pupils, while all of the other Vortians seen in the franchise so far appear to lack them, raising numerous questions on how their eyes are supposed to look.
- Most, if not all, Vortians appear to suffer from overbites.
- It’s unknown why Vortian children barely resemble adult members of their species.
- It’s unclear how the intentional design flaws of Vortian technology manage to go unnoticed by the Irken Empire.
- Considering the high intellect of their species, it’s been implied that Vortian brains are regularly harvested by their Irken conquerors to increase their own intelligence, with Irken Engineer Skrang being a clear example of this. However, it’s also possible that this could have just been a momentary gag to point out the stupidity of the Irken Empire.
- On a related note, it’s possible that Vortians have either dark greyish-pink or dark greyish-purple blood due to the color of their brain tissue, although this is unconfirmed.
- Shoulder ringlets/bracelets seem to be common within Vortian clothing.
- According to ChannelFrederator's YouTube video 107 Invader Zim Facts, Lard Nar (and presumbly other Vortians) was supposed to have moving pincers instead of how his head appendages ended up being animated. However, this “fact” was never cited with any proper evidence, and considering that this video stated Invader Dib as canon and said that Lard Nar’s antennae ended up being “dull, stationary horns,“ the validity of this statement is questionable.
|Species of Invader Zim|
|Blobs • Brain-Eating Parasite • Hogulus • Humans • Irkens • Large-Nostril People • Martian • Meekrob • Nhar-Gh'ok • Planet Jackers • Plookesian • Rock Species • Screwheads • Slaughtering Rat People • Vortian|